A common problem in the knee is damage to the Anterior Cruciate Ligament, commonly known as an ACL injury. The extent of the injury will vary from person to person but symptoms can include substantial discomfort and difficulties carrying out normal activities of daily living. In the worst case scenario the injury can mean the end to an active lifestyle, but before getting to this stage a simple exercise programme can reverse the situation and help avoid surgery. Occasionally a surgical reconstruction is required and our physiotherapists are trained to take you through the rehabilitation process.
NON-SURGICAL ACL PROGRAMME – 12 SESSIONS
This programme is recommended for patients who suffer from mild to moderate rupture or “tear” of the ACL without other structures damaged or conditions contributing to the deteriorating knee pain.
- Physical examination of the severity of the tear and functional disability
- Lower limb joint assessment
- Setting up short term and long term goals according to their activity level
- Gait assessment
- Other potential problems caused by ACL injury e.g. muscle wasting and dysfunction
- Treatments to relieve pain, symptoms, and swelling
- Regain movement range and mobility in the knee
- Strengthening the weakened muscles through resistance training, manual facilitation, biofeedback machine, etc.
- Plyometric training at the later stage of rehabilitation
- Specific technique ills according to patient’s sports activity
- Home exercise prescription programmes will be designed and revised according to improving conditions
ACL POST-OPERATIVE REHAB PROGRAMME* – UP TO 5 or 6 MONTHS
This programme is recommended for patients who suffer from mild to moderate rupture or “tear” of the ACL without other structures damaged or conditions contributing to the deteriorating knee pain. This rehabilitation program is designed for patients who have undergone ACL reconstruction surgery. Rehabilitation outcome may vary for individuals who have undergone other surgeries at the same time, e.g. Meniscal repair.
Here are the goals for the ACL Post-Operative Rehab Programme* set out in different phases after reconstructive surgery
*Please note the ACL Post-Operative Rehab Programme may vary for individuals due to the fact that many ACL surgeries are performed to correct other related conditions at the same time